MA Access Program in Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
The MA Access Program in Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures covers tuition and provides a cost-of-living stipend to qualified students who have been admitted to a Master of Arts degree program in a participating department
MA Access Program scholarships are available to students admitted to any of the following MA programs. For information about admission to specific programs, please access the links below.
- Department of English and Comparative Literature – Freestanding
- Department of French - MA in French
- Department of Germanic Languages – MA Program in German
- Department of Latin American and Iberian Cultures – MA in Hispanic Cultural Studies
- Department of Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies – Freestanding MA Program in Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies
- Department of Slavic Languages – MA Programs in Slavic Languages (Russian Literature); Slavic Languages (Czech, Polish, South Slavic, Ukrainian); Russian Translation; Slavic Cultures
- For information about admission to specific programs, please contact the individual departments listed above.
- For inquiries about the MA Access Program, email: [email protected]
- For general Columbia admissions inquiries, write to [email protected]
The MA Access Program Application is available here. The deadline to apply is March 30, 2023.
Note: To be eligible to apply, you must first begin your GSAS application to a participating program, as noted above. However, you may apply for the MA Access Program even if you have not yet received an admission decision from GSAS.
Students will be considered for MA Access Program support on an individual basis, with special consideration to be given to those applicants who:
(i) have been admitted for full-time study in a participating MA program; and
(ii) are the first in their family to attend graduate school; and/or
(iii) have, either as a result of their socio-economic background, status as a member of an historically underrepresented group, or challenging life experiences, overcome substantial obstacles on their journey to graduate school; and/or
(iv) have lived or worked in a diverse environment; and/or
(v) have, through their undergraduate education or work experience, demonstrated a commitment to serving historically underprivileged populations and/or the academic study of historically underrepresented populations.
MA Access Program scholarships offer the following support over the nine months of study at Columbia:
- Tuition and Fees (including student health insurance fee): $63,000 (estimated)
- Cost of Living Stipend: $30,000 (paid over nine months, September – May)
In academic year 2022-2023, a total of three (3) scholarships will be offered.
The MA Access Program application deadline is March 30, 2023.
Applicants must apply to the MA program in a participating department by the deadline indicated on that department’s website.
Awardees will be notified via email.