Join us for a book launch and panel discussion for Martha Graham’s Cold War: the Dance of American Diplomacy (Oxford University Press).
The panel will include:
- Victoria Phillips, author of Martha Graham’s Cold War: the Dance of American Diplomacy
- Victoria de Grazia, Moore Collegiate Professor of History, Columbia University
- Lynn Garafola, Professor Emerita of Dance, Barnard College
- Richard R. John, Professor of Journalism, Columbia University
- Whitney Laemmli, Assistant Professor, Carnegie Mellon University
From the 1950s to the 1980s, Martha Graham and her dance company toured the world under the auspices of the State Department. Martha Graham’s Cold War examines Graham’s role as a cultural ambassador and how her work was used by the United States as pro-Western propaganda during the Cold War.